Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Birdhouses Galore

     These birdhouse Stamps of Life dies are certainly a temptation. I couldn't wait to get the larger double decker birdhouse on a layout. I started out with a sketch for this layout, but in order to get this enormous birdhouse on it, I ended up abandoning it. 

     I used some Pebbles paper from 2013. I had quite a bit left over from a 6 card set that I have on display in my craft room, from 2014. They are here.     


     The front of this birdhouse is made from Bazzill's celery, a textured card stock. I used a favorite technique to make it look like real wood slats. This faux weathered wood technique is made by scoring at 1/2 inch intervals on a sheet of 6 x 9 inch card stock. Then take a white pigment ink pad and pull in strokes down the card stock in the same direction as the score lines. Repeat this step with an old brown ink pad. You will not want to use anything you like, because it will get contaminated with white pigment ink. Finally, I die cut both of the double decker birdhouses from this piece of card stock, being careful to make sure there was a scoreline coming down the center of it.


     This birdhouse looked pretty bare, so I added some homemade flowers to soften it up. The stand they are on is actually three matted strips of paper. Originally they were on the sketch as separate strips, but I accidentally pushed them together in an effort to move them out of the way and I ended up with something I like even better.


     I guess the one interesting thing about the smaller birdhouses is that I had to die cut each them entirely out of each color of card stock - green, yellow, blue, yellow, pink. That means that technically there are enough scraps on the table to make each one of these birdhouses 4 more times. I have to say that I feel a birdhouse card in the making.


     I had some real fun getting these flourishes pulled through the picket fence so they met my specifications. Some of the paper in the flourishes may be a bit worn out from the effort.

Materials List:
    
     Card Stock: Bazzill - Lemon Custard
                                   Celery
                                   Baby Blue Medium
                       Coredinations - Black Iris
                       My Colors - Ivory
                       Echo Park - Sunny Ahead (Pink)
     Patterned Paper: Pebbles - Family Ties
     Dies: Stamps of Life - Birdhouses
                                     Birdhouse Fold-It
                                     Shabby Chic Flowers
             Elizabeth Craft Designs - Flourishes & Branches
             Poppy Stamps - Picket Fence
     Ink: Brillance - Moonlight White
            Old Brown Stamp Pad
                Leaves - G82, 85
     Embellies - Gems - Pink & Gold
                      Wood Veneer - Mini Circles

No comments:

Post a Comment