Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Destin Sand Box

     It's ironic that I had this post marked to go live this morning - as Hurricane Michael bares down on Destin's coast. We have vacationed in Destin every year for the past 27 years. I remember Hurricane Opal, also a cat 4, that devastated the area in 1995. They had to rebuild everything after Opal.

     About 8 years ago Huey and I decided to bring back a bag of Destin sand with residue of the BP oil spill. Huey wanted to show it to friends at work. We ended up sifting the oil out of the sand and keeping it. I decided to use it as filler for this shaker card.

     I just returned from a Caribbean Cruise on Royal Caribbean's Liberty of the Seas. We visited Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Jamaica. It was a scrapbooking cruise. One of the planned activities was a card swap. Of the 40 scrapbookers, 17 participated. The only qualification was that we had to use one of Karen Burniston's dies somewhere on the card. Here is my swap:


     My first thought, when I prepared to design this card, was that I wanted the card to be something unique -- something that no one had seen before. I had the idea to put a shaker in the bottom of a box card. I actually searched Google and Pinterest to see if I could find any other card that had this and was unable to find one. I wouldn't be surprised if someone was to tell me that they were able to locate one.

     In the interest of time, I decided that it would be too much die cutting to use dies for the card base and the waves. Silhouette didn't not have a rectangular box card, so I designed my own Silhouette file -- including the window in the front and the scalloped edge on the top. I made the wave inserts and the waves that bordered the back and sides to the exact size I needed. This was a huge time-saver. 
  

     I was up in Fort Worth at my daughter's house for Labor Day weekend. We die cut, assembled, and inked the suns, flamingoes, palm trees, crabs, sharks, turtles, and shells. It took the the two of us 6 hours.


     I constructed the shakers independent of the card. I cut acetate to the desired size. I edged each side with "Black Double Coated Window Glazing Tape: 1/8 in. thick x 3/8 in. wide" which I purchased on Amazon (75 feet for ~$14). I filled the cavity with 100% pure white Destin sand, blue/turquoise sequins, die cut shells, and attached a red anchor from the top, I sealed it with a rectangle of Seafoam card stock.


     I used a Silhouette file to make the flamingo on the back of the card. I originally designed the card for my father-in-law's 80th birthday with a Elizabeth Craft lighthouse on the back. I needed to get girlie for the cruise - so I changed the lighthouse to a flamingo.


     Here is a pic of all 21 that I ended up making.



Materials: 
     Patterned Paper: My Colors - Mosaic Blue
                                                Seafoam
                                                Firecracker
                                                Snowbound
                                                Tuscan Sun
                                                Cafe Ole
                                                Parrot 
                                                Sweetie Pie
                                                Cosmos
                                                Cloak Gray
                                                Rose Heather
                                                Black Magic
                                                Sandy Beach
                              Metallic Brown
     Stamp: Gina K - Hello Sunshine
     Ink: Momento - Potter's Clay
                             Lady Bug
                             Tuxedo Black
            Gina K - Cherry Red
                         Moonlit Fog
     Die: Burniston - Beach Charms
                             Sea Animals
                             Tropical Scene
            Elizabeth Craft Designs - Shells Small
     Silhouette File: Doodlebug Designs - Flamingo-Fun in the Sun
                            Higgledy Piggledy Crafts - Rectangular Box Card
                                                                  Wave Inserts
     Embellies: White/Black Twine
                     Blue/Turquoise Sequins
                     Destin Sand
                     Acetate
                     

Challenges

Crafty Gals Corner - Fancy Fold - #3 - Winner!!!



Creative Friday - Shaker Card - #6 - *
Dies R Us - Die sold by Dies R Us - #55 - *
Scrapy Land Challenge - Die sold by Scrapy Land - #23 - Winner!!!

http://www.scrapyland-blog.com/2018/10/winner-winner-challenge-99.html

Simply Create Too - Shaker Card - #3 - Winner!!!


Tuesday Throwdown - Anything Goes - #12 - *

No comments:

Post a Comment