Saturday, January 11, 2014

Getting Started

May of 2012 - I retired after 33 years of teaching. I spent the next year filling my time with exercise classes. sewing projects, TV watching, reading . . . actually flitting from one activity to another. Never really staying for long with any particular routine or project.

February of 2013 - I ordered a "Kit of the Month" from Annie's Attic. I chose to try card making. I completed the projects that were sent to me - March - April - May.

May of 2013 - I purchased a paper trimmer, couple of punches, two stamp sets, a Big Shot, and made some nice graduation cards from YouTube tutorials. I realized at this point that the Annie's Attic kits weren't going to leave me enough room for creativity.

Graduation Card I Made - Link to Tutorial I Watched


June of 2013 - I spoke to my niece, Michelle Hoffman, a Stampin' Up demonstrator. From her I ordered, 3 more stamp sets, the dress-up stamp set, framelits, and pop-up die. I spent a week in Hot Springs, Arkansas where I wandered into a paper crafting store called R U Stampin' and Scrappin'. The owner, Joyce, was so sweet and told me lots about card making. I walked out of her store with several!!!!! framelits.

July of 2013 I started taking a Thursday evening class from a Stampin' Up demonstrator at the Hobby Lobby. She taught many fun techniques. I found myself getting more and more involved in trying to create my own cards.

August of 2013 Every time I put "paper crafting in Spring Texas" in as a google search a place called "Scrapp'n Savvy" would come up. It was only 1 mile from my house, but when I drove by it was just a house - it didn't appear to be a business. The first weekend in August Scrapp'n Savvy was having Karen Burniston in as an instructor. I couldn't resist. I decided to take a chance and signed up on-line for the class. The class was amazing, but the best part was that it wasn't just a house. It was a complete scrapbooking store.

Since August I have taken many classes at Scrapp'n Savvy. I am learning many inking techniques, coloring with Copic Markers, and even though I said that I would never scrapbook, I have even taken a scrapbooking class and am signed up for 3 more in the coming weeks.

In less than a year I have settled on a new hobby that has totally taken over my thoughts, energy, and budget. My once "Sewing Room" is now a "Craft Room". Every time I start a project the paper starts flying. Hence, the name higgledy-piggledy. (This was a bonus spelling word every year in my third grade class.)  The room gets a little trashed during projects, but I straighten, organize, and clean, then start all over again.

I decided to start this blog to share my adventure with paper, ink, markers, stamps, etc. I hope along the way I might use some of the inspirations that I glean from others to create my own masterpieces and ultimately inspire others. Maybe I'll even make some new paper crafting pals at the same time.











1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy you found the wonderful world of paper crafting! It gives a person many fun hours of creativity, and it's a great way to share and connect with others. I look forward to seeing all the great projects you create!

    ReplyDelete