Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Learning About China

     My granddaughter and I made a stop at the library on the way to pre-school. It happened to be storytime for 3-4 year olds. The presenter read Goldiluck and the Three Pandas. She brought bits of Chinese culture to share and had examples of Chinese dress and a large fan. Ellie enjoyed trying on the jacket and waving the fan about. During the read-aloud, we practiced counting to three in Chinese. Ellie learned this quickly and was counting to three over and over on the way to the car. 

2-Page Layout
     I love starting with a sketch from Sketch N Scrap. It makes it so much easier to make that first paper cut. I used the sketch for the right page only.
Sketch #169 by Heather Hall
     I used an old paper line by Graphic 45 called "Bird Song". The collection is actually geared for a Japanese theme. I stayed away from patterned papers that contained Japanese writing and Geisha girls. There was plenty of paper left to work with.
Right Page
     For the title, I purchased a font from Silhouette Designs. I really like the way it gives a Chinese feel to the page.
     I placed red ric rac on the Tuscan Sun card stock. I wrapped it around to the back and secured it with tape. I then used a needle to sew it down with black embroidery floss. I recently learned this technique in a scrapbooking class at the Scrappn' Savvy. I couldn't wait to repeat it on a layout of my own.

Title and Stitching
     The photos look like tags, because of the chipboard tabs attached to the top of each. I didn't have any landscape photos, so I made a landscape-shaped mat and placed a wood veneer piece on the mat. In total there are three of these floral cluster wood veneer pieces on the layout, as well as a bird cage. I wanted them to be shiny and antique gold. I rubbed them in Versa Mark ink and added embossing powder. There were some spots that didn't get enough ink. I solved this by using my Versa Mark pen and then embossing again.

Pictures made into tags.
     The journaling card is cut from the 4 x 6 journaling page. I double matted it and pop dotted. The cute little tag is from the chip board selection. I ran a piece of ric rac through the hole and used embroidery floss to secure it. 

Journaling Card
     I knew that I wanted to add a 5 x 7 photo to the left page. I extended the right page 4 inches onto the left page. The mats for this photo are 6 layers thick. The more the merrier - I always say!!! 

Left Page
     Graphic 45 has a challenge each month. I used this opportunity to double dip on challenges. They are asking for any projects made with Graphic 45 paper that have stamping. I stamped an oriental floral vine with versa mark ink above and below the photo. It is embossed with antique gold powder.

Wood Veneer and Stamping/Gold Embossing
     I repeated the stamping on the Tuscan Sun card stock, but this time I used black embossing powder.
     
Stamping/Black Embossing
     I repeated the ric rac border over the 5 x 7 photo.

Stitching Over Photo
     I enjoyed making the bird cage tag for the page. As mentioned above the wood veneer is embossed with antique gold powder. I traced the shape onto black card stock and fussy cut it with an extra 1/4 inch to make a mat. I wanted the shape of the bird cage to pop on the page. The birds inside the card are from a 4 x 6 journaling card. I used red card stock behind the row of holes across the bottom. I repeated the top of the tag by placing a piece of ric rac through the hole and using embroidery floss to secure it. 

Bird Cage

Materials List:      
     
     Patterned Paper: Graphic 45 - Bird Song - Shanghai Girls
                                                                  Tranquility
                                                                  Longevity
                                                                  Joy Luck
                                                                  Harmony
                                                                  Jasmine Dream
                                                                  Chipboard Tags
                              Bo Bunny - Double Dot - Wild Berry Vintage
     Card Stock: My Colors - Black Magic
                                        Tuscan Sun
     Ink: Versa Mark
     Silhouette Font: zp chinese zodiac by ScrapNfonts
     Notions: 1/8 inch red satin ribbon
                  red ric rac
                  black embroidery floss
     Stamps: Gina K - Branching Out
     Embossing Powder: Antique Gold and Black
     Wood Veneer: Kaiser Craft - Bird Cages
                                               Asian

Challenges
Alphabet Challenge - U is for Use Stitching - #56 - *
Lasting Memories Layout Challenges - Trims - #27 - Winner!



Sisterhood of the Snarky Stampers - B is for Books - #9 - *

No comments:

Post a Comment